New Mexico: Portales Municipal Schools
The information presented below was developed through a survey of school districts conducted in the winter and spring of 2013.
Although accuracy was a priority, the most current information will come from contacting the new school district directly.
Tools for Making a Smooth Transition section includes suggestions for contacting school districts and sample questions to ask.
District Contact Information
- Address: 501 South Abilene, Portales, NM 88130
- Phone: 575-359-3707
- Total Students: 525
- Total Students with Disabilities ages 3-5: 116
- Total Students with Disabilities 6-21: 359
- Number of Students with ASD: 21
- Number of Students with ID: 39
- Number of Students with E/BD: 6
Types of Educational Services Provided:
- ASD: Functional Behavior Assessment, Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), Sensory Supports (Prompting, Visual Supports, Applied Behavior Analysis), Social Narratives, TEACCH Interventions (Computer-Aided Instruction, Social Skills Training Group, Systematic Use of Differential Reinforcement; Augumentative Communication Device; Visual Schedules
- ID: Academic Modifications, Assistive Technology, Computer-Aided Instruction, Functional Communication Strategies, Independent Living Skills, Positive Behavior Supports,Social Worker and Psychologist Support
- EBD: Academic Modifications, Computer-Aided Instruction, Crisis Management & Intervention, Positive Behavior Supports, Social Skills Training
Types of Post-Secondary Transition Services Provided:
Preparation for Post-Secondary Education or Training (identifying opportunities, completing applications, completing financial aid applications), Functional Vocational Assessments/Career Planning, Vocational Training/Job Coaching (job shadowing, volunteer opportunities)
District Access to Board Certified Behavior Analyst:
Military Installations & School Districts
Below are links to military installations and the districts that serve them. Clicking on the installation link will
take you to its Fast Facts page at Military Installations while clicking on the district link will take you to the district’s webpage.