The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational Definitions of Disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses emotional disturbance and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at eligibility criteria.
Support service structure
Texas Education Agency, Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by public schools. A network of regional education service centers further school districts. Additional information is provided at special education leadership.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Texas Autism Research and Resource Center is the statewide clearinghouse for issues related to autism.
Disability scholarship program
Texas does not have a disability scholarship program.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Texas enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services. See Texas insurance for more information.
Parent training and information center
The Partners Resource Network has three agencies that provide regional support to families:
- PATH - serves Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Wichita Falls, Southeast and East Texas
- PEN - serves Amarillo, Lubbock, Abilene, San Angelo and El Paso
- TEAM - serves San Antonio, Houston, Corpus Christi, Rio Grande Valley and Laredo
Additional support is provided by the Children's Disability Information Coalition for families in the El Paso area.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Texas are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Texas is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district, the regional educational service centers and the parent training and information centers listed above. Additional information is provided at resources.
Military education resources
Information and resources specifically identified for military-connected families in Texas may be found at military education resources.