The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act definition
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act definition, but includes mild, moderate and severe subcategories
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses emotional disturbance and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at eligibility information (Section 6.6).
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Delaware reported the following:
- Autism - 1,230 students, 6.3 percent of all students with disabilities
- Intellectual disability - 1,566 students, 8.1 percent of all students with disabilities
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 749 students, 3.9 percent of all students with disabilities
Support service structure
The State of Delaware Department of Education, Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by school districts.
Delaware does not have a disability task force.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Delaware does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
Delaware does not have a statewide disability scholarship program.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Delaware enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services. See Delaware insurance for more details.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Delaware had no supervisors (direct service providers) and no tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information center
The Parent Information Center of Delaware is Delaware's parent training and information center.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Delaware are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Delaware is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district and the parent training and information center listed above. Additional information is provided at special education resources.