The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses emotional disturbance and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at eligibility criteria (Page 74).
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Maine reported the following:
- Autism - 2,502 students (estimated based on reported percentages)
- Intellectual disability - 677 students (estimated based on reported percentages)
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 2,472 students (estimated based on reported percentages)
Support service structure
Maine's Department of Education, Office of Special Services monitors and supports the special education services provided by public schools.
Maine does not have a disability task force.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Maine does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
Maine does not have a statewide disability scholarship program.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Maine enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services. See Maine insurance for more details.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Maine had six supervisors (direct service providers) and 10 tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information center
Maine Parent Federation is Maine's parent training and information center.
Secondary transition resource
Information and resources related to secondary transition services are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Maine is a member of Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district and the parent training and information center listed above. Additional information is provided at resources.