The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses emotional disability and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at policies and procedures (Page 7).
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Mississippi reported the following:
- Autism - 3,279 students, 5 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
- Intellectual disability - 3,434 students, 5.3 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 3,363 students, 5.2 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
Support service structure
Mississippi Department of Education, Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by public schools.
The Caring for Mississippi Children and Families with Autism Task Force submitted its final report in 2007.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Mississippi does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
Mississippi enacted the Dyslexia Therapy Scholarship for Students with Dyslexia Program that provides vouchers for students with dyslexia to attend private schools. The Nate Rogers Scholarship for Students with Disabilities provides vouchers for students with speech/language impairments to attend private schools. Families should contact the Mississippi Department of Education for more information.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Mississippi has not enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Mississippi had one supervisor (direct service providers) and two tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information centers
The Mississippi Parent Training and Information Center is Mississippi's parent training and information center.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Mississippi are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Mississippi is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district and the parent training and information center listed above. Additional information is provided at parent information.