The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses behavior disorder and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at eligibility criteria (Page 23).
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Nebraska reported the following:
- Autism - 2,607 students, 5.5 percent of all students with disabilities
- Intellectual disability - 3,456 students, 7.3 percent of all students with disabilities
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 2,083 students, 4.4 percent of all students with disabilities
Support service structure
Nebraska Department of Education, Office of Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by schools.
Nebraska does not have a disability task force.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Nebraska does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse. The Nebraska Autism Spectrum Disorders Network supports services related to autism.
Disability scholarship program
Nebraska does not have a statewide disability scholarship program.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Nebraska has not enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Nebraska had 28 supervisors (direct service providers) and 88 tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information centers
Nebraska's parent training and information center is PTI Nebraska.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Nebraska are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Nebraska is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district and the parent training and information center listed above. Additional information is provided at resources.