The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - uses autistic and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - uses cognitively impaired and defines mild, moderate and severe levels of delay
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses emotional disturbance and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at eligibility criteria (Page 55).
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2011 child count (most current available), New Jersey reported the following:
- Autism - 14,377 students, fifth highest among disability populations
- Intellectual disability - 8,701 students, seventh highest among disability populations
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 5,229 students, eighth highest among disability populations
Support service structure
State of New Jersey Department of Education, Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by public schools.
The New Jersey Adults with Autism Task Force submitted its final report in 2009.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
New Jersey does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
New Jersey does not have a statewide disability scholarship.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
New Jersey enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services. See New Jersey insurance for more details.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, New Jersey had 32 supervisors (direct service providers) and 54 tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information center
The Statewide Parent Advocacy Network is New Jersey's statewide parent training and information center while the Association for Special Children and Families supports families in northern Passaic County.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in New Jersey is available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
New Jersey is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information resources for families are available from the local school district and the parent training and information centers listed above. Additional information is provided at resources.