The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available by calling 800-879-2301.
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Pennsylvania reported the following:
- Autism - 25,117 students, fifth highest among student disability populations
- Intellectual disability - 19,159 students, seventh highest among student disability populations
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 23,026 students, sixth highest among student disability populations.
Support service structure
Pennsylvania Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by public schools.
Autism Task Force completed its final report in 2004.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Pennsylvania does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
Pennsylvania does not have a statewide disability scholarship.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Pennsylvania enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services. See Pennsylvania insurance for more details.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Pennsylvania had 38 supervisors (direct service providers) and 64 tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information center
Parent agencies in Pennsylvania include:
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Pennsylvania are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Pennsylvania is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district and the parent training and information centers listed above. Additional information is available at resources.