The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - uses cognitive disability and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses emotional disturbance and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at eligibility guide (Page 92).
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, South Dakota reported the following:
- Autism - 716 students, 6.1 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
- Intellectual disability - 1,413 students, 7.9 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 1,088 students, 6.1 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
Support service structure
South Dakota Department of Education, Office of Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by public schools. Seven regional support offices provide additional support (see regional service directory).
South Dakota does not have a statewide disability task force.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
South Dakota does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
South Dakota does not have a statewide disability scholarship program.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
South Dakota has not enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, South Dakota had seven supervisors (direct service providers) and nine tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information center
The South Dakota Parent Connection is South Dakota's parent training and information center.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in South Dakota are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
South Dakota is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information resources for families are available from the local school district and the parent training and information center listed above, including its resource page family resource guide.