The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses emotional disturbance and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at eligibility criteria.
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Tennessee reported the following:
- Autism - 6,638 students (estimate based on reported percentages)
- Intellectual disability - 8,005 students (estimate based on reported percentages)
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 3,091 students (estimate based on reported percentages)
Support service structure
Tennessee Department of Education, Division of Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by school districts.
Tennessee does not have a statewide disability task force.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
The Tennessee Disability Pathfinder is a statewide resource for information and resources related to disabilities.
Disability scholarship program
Tennessee does not have a statewide disability scholarship program.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Tennessee has not enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Tennessee had 116 supervisors (direct service providers) and 163 tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information center
Support and Training for Exceptional Parents is Tennessee's parent training and information center.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Tennessee are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Tennessee is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district, the clearinghouse and the parent training and information center listed above. Additional information is provided at resources.