The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at eligibility criteria (Page 28).
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Utah reported the following:
- Autism - 4,130 students, 5.5 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
- Intellectual disability - 3,225 students, 4.3 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 2,229 students, 3 percent of the total population of students with disabilities
Support service structure
Utah State Office of Education Special Education Services monitors and supports the special education services provided by public schools.
Utah does not have a statewide disability task force.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Utah does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
The Carson Smith Special Needs Scholarship provides tuition assistance for eligible students with disabilities attending eligible private schools.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Utah has not enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Utah had 23 supervisors (direct service providers) and 75 tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information centers
The Utah Parent Center is Utah's parent training and information center.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Utah is available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Utah is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district and the parent training and information center listed above. Additional information is provided at resources.