The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses emotional disturbance and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at specific disabilities (Page 40).
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Vermont reported the following:
- Autism - 962 students, sixth highest among disability populations
- Intellectual disability - 752 students, seventh highest among disability populations
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 1,931 students, fourth highest among disability populations
Support service structure
Vermont Agency of Education, Special Education Section monitors and supports the special education services provided by public schools.
Vermont does not have a statewide disability task force.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Vermont does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
Vermont does not have a disability scholarship program.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Vermont has enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services. See Vermont insurance for more details.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Vermont had no supervisors (direct service providers) and no tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information center
The Vermont Family Network is Vermont's parent training and information center.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Vermont are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Vermont is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district and the parent training and information center listed above. Additional information is provided at resources.