The information presented below is a brief overview of this state's special education support system. Please contact the state education agency or follow the included links for more detailed information.
Educational definitions of disabilities
- Autism - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Intellectual disability - consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - uses significant identifiable emotional disability and is consistent with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
More detailed information is available at specific disabilities.
Numbers of students with disabilities served
For the 2012 child count, Colorado reported the following:
- Autism - 4,878 students, sixth highest among disability populations
- Intellectual disability - 2,879 students, eighth highest among disability populations
- Emotional/behavioral disorder - 6,364 students, fourth highest among disability populations
Colorado also has a physical disabilities category that may include some students with the above disabilities.
Support service structure
Colorado Department of Education - Office of Special Education monitors and supports the special education services provided by schools.
The Colorado Autism Commission submitted its final report in October 2009.
Statewide disability clearinghouse
Colorado does not have a statewide disability clearinghouse.
Disability scholarship program
Colorado does not have a statewide disability scholarship program.
Insurance coverage for autism spectrum disorder services
Colorado enacted legislation related to insurance coverage specifically for autism spectrum disorder-related services. See Colorado insurance for more information.
TRICARE-approved applied behavior analysis providers
As of May 2013, Colorado had 88 supervisors (direct service providers) and 254 tutors (assistants requiring supervision to provide services).
Parent training and information center
The Peak Parent Center is Colorado's statewide parent training and information center with additional support provided by the THRIVE Center.
Secondary transition resources
Information and resources related to secondary transition in Colorado are available at secondary transition.
Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
Colorado is a member of the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission.
Special education resources
Information on resources for families is available from the local school district and the parent training and information centers listed above.